Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Meditation “Intro Thy Hands” Luke 23:46

Rev. Jeffrey T. Howard
Meditation “Intro Thy Hands” Luke 23:46
Adapted from C.H. Spurgeon “Our Lord’s Last Cry from the Cross”
Pocomoke Ministerial Association - “Seven Last Words of Christ”
April 2, 2010

Listen to this sermon.

Luke 23:46 46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

These were the dying words of our Lord Jesus Christ, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” This teaches us resignation. Yield all things. Stand still, and make a full surrender to the Lord, and let this be you watchword from the first even to the last, “Into your hands, my Father, I commend my spirit.”

It is very noteworthy that the last words that our Lord used were quoted from the Scriptures. He probably memorized them as a child. It is taken from the thirty-first Psalm, and the fifth verse. Let me read it to you. “Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth.” Now, beloved, the Savior altered this passage, or else it would not quite have suited him. Do you see, first, he was obliged, in order to fit it to his own case, to add something to it? What did he add to it? Why, that word, “Father.” David said, “Into your hands I commit my spirit;” but Jesus says, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Jesus knew that he was the Son of God and was retuning home to his Father’s loving hands. But then Jesus takes something away from David’s psalm. It was needful that he should do so, for David said, “redeem me, O Lord”. Jesus had no need for redemption because he was the redeemer.

Learn from this that dying is going home to our Father. Where else should we go? When we grow grey, and our day’s work is done, where should we go but home? He has finished his earthly course, and now he will go home to heaven. Just as a child runs to its mother’s bosom when it is tired, and wants to fall asleep, so Christ says, “Father,” as he falls asleep in death.

Our duty seems to me to be resignation. Whenever anything distresses and alarms you, resign yourself to God. Say, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Learn from this the duty of prayer. When you are in the very anguish of pain, when you are surrounded by bitter griefs of mind as well as of body, still pray. Drop not the “Our Father.” Let not your cries be addressed to the air; let not your moans be to your physician, or your nurse; but cry, “Father.”

Let us enjoy the high privilege of resting in God in all times of danger and pain. The doctor has just told you that you will have to undergo an operation. Say, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” There is every probability that that weakness of yours, or that disease of yours, will increase upon you, and that by-and-by you will have to take to your bed, and lie there perhaps for many a day. Then say, “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.” Do not fret; for that will not help you. Do not fear the future; for that will not aid you. Give yourself up (it is your privilege to do so) to the keeping of those dear hands that were pierced for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment